The Role of Acupuncture In Pain Relief
For many of you, Acupuncture may seem like an exotic and dubious treatment. Many people who have been advised surgeries and life-long medications have been cured of their conditions with acupuncture.
Yes, you read it right!
We can talk in length about individuals who have been treated by us and who are living a normal happy life!
Click here to read about what our satisfied clients’ have to say.
Acupuncture is an ancient art of healing that is now accepted as a treatment for lower back pain, neck pain, osteoarthritis, depression etc. Acupuncture plays a tremendous role in treating chronic pains. It is a part of Traditional Chinese medicine that has been acquired in the Western world also.
Each individual responds to acupuncture differently!
It can take very few to 10 sessions to eliminate symptoms!
Once our body is alleviated, no further sessions are required. Chronic conditions may require more number of sessions.
The general theory of acupuncture is based on the patterns of energy flow (Qi) through the body that is essential for health. Disruptions of this flow are believed to be responsible for the disease.
Qi (pronounced "chee") is the flow of energy along the paths that connect the acupuncture points.
There is evidence that acupuncture influences the production of and distribution of a great many neurotransmitters and neuromodulators, and that this, in turn, alters the perception of pain. – David Eisenberg
Did you know that the WHO (World Health Organization) has recognized the effectiveness of acupuncture for about 60 conditions from high blood pressure, infertility, cold, depression, headaches to irritable bowel syndrome!
Now isn’t this amazing? No medicines! No surgeries! Just needle pressing to cure your disease.
Let us understand in-depth about acupuncture therapy, its benefits and much more!
What is acupuncture?
It is a part of traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) that stimulates certain body points, by pressing needles into the skin to alleviate various health conditions.
How does acupuncture work for pain?
As we mentioned earlier, acupuncture is a part of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), that is more than 2500 years old. It is an effective therapy that cures you of your medical condition and allows you to live a normal life. People who have been advised surgeries have been cured by a few sessions of acupuncture therapy. If you have been advised a lifelong medication for a particular condition, you must definitely check with the acupuncture therapist and check on how acupuncture can benefit you.
You might wonder about the science behind acupuncture, right? Is it scientifically proven?
Acupuncture stimulates the affected points using thin metal needles that penetrate into the skin. The pressing of needles stimulates your nerves, muscles and the connecting tissues that result in the production of chemicals that act as natural painkillers like endorphins, encephalin and few other neurochemicals in the muscles, spinal cord and brain. The released natural painkillers activate other chemicals and hormones that influence your body's regulating system allowing it to heal naturally.
The needle prick in the acupoints corrects the imbalance, promotes self-healing by removing the blockage and allows a positive flow in your body. The Chinese Acupuncture helps regulate your physical and emotional well being.
Researchers and experts have used neuroscience to explain acupuncture. This has been practised since ages to cure many medical conditions successfully.
How can the acupuncture points be stimulated?
The acupoints can be stimulated by:
- Pressing of needles.
- Warming with a smouldering herb
- Manual pressure (acupressure) Cupping
Is acupuncture a painful process? Does it hurt?
Not at all!
One misbelief about acupuncture is that it is painful, thus scaring people away.
The thin needles used for pressing cause very minimal or no pain at all. The prick lets you experience positive sensations that result in you getting better.
In very rare cases the individual experiences pain in the first session, this is because certain points will be getting activated for the first time.
What type of needles are used in an acupuncture treatment?
There are many kinds of needles used for acupuncture treatment. In ancient Chinese acupuncture clinics, they used 9 different needles. Today, the majority of acupuncture specialists use metal filiform (thread-like) needles that are made of stainless steel. Did you know that in some cases they even use silver and gold needles?
Are you concerned about the safety of these needles?
The needles used are pre-sterilised, one time use disposable ones.
Are you wondering about the number of sessions you would take to get cured of your condition?
The number of acupuncture treatments required in each case is different and each response is different. One acupuncture therapy doesn't suffice the need. One or two sessions a week for five to six weeks is the normal course of treatment.
How effective is acupuncture therapy?
Acupuncture points stimulate the central nervous system which enables the body's natural healing abilities and promotes well-being.
National Institutes of Health (NIH) have proven that acupuncture is effective in treating the following:
- Nausea due to surgical anaesthesia and chemotherapy
- Dental pain after surgery
- Menstrual cramps
- Ennis's elbow
- Myofascial pain
- Lower back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Stroke rehabilitation
Benefits of acupuncture treatment:
- It reduces stress: Acupuncture calms the body and is very relaxing.
- Reduces back pain, neck pain and other chronic pains: If you have been advised surgeries or lifelong medications for your chronic pain, you should definitely consider acupuncture. There is no better way to promote your body’s self-healing abilities than this. Our successful therapies talk for themselves.
- Relieves joint pains and headaches: National Institute of Health (NIH) suggests that acupuncture helps treat back & neck pain, knee pain(osteoarthritis) & headaches including migraines.
- Reduces eye strain: Along with treating chronic eye conditions, acupuncture boosts the visual acuity, reduces sensitivity to light, eliminates eye floaters, blurred vision and dry eyes, decreases excessive tearing and heals redness, swollen and painful eyes.
- Improves immune system: Acupuncture regulates your immune system by getting to the root cause of the medical condition. It enables the self-healing ability of your body and gets it back to normal.
- Boosts both physical & mental health: Depression, anxiety, insomnia and post-traumatic stress etc are some of the mental health disorders that acupuncture can treat.
- Aids digestive conditions: Nausea, vomiting, irritable bowel, constipation, diarrhoea, ulcers, Crohn's disease, postoperative ileus, and even gallstones can be successfully treated with acupuncture therapy.
- Reduces allergies and the cigarette craving: Acupuncture reduces the allergic conditions of your body. It also treats seasonal allergies like asthma, sinus etc. A natural way to repress your nicotine addiction - acupuncture along with herbs will benefit you.
A word from Ayushyaa Clinic
If you experience any difficulty in managing pain or other health conditions with the sham or placebo methods, then acupuncture is worth a try.
You must choose the right clinic, the acupuncture specialist and the best acupuncture treatment for your healing. Our team of experts will be available to answer all your queries.